Friday, June 3, 2011

Testing, testing, 123...

I know that many, many people have been amazed by what can be done with fondant. A wonderfully moldable, shapable, stretchable, edible... (sound of brakes squealing, smell of tires burning) Edible? Really? Could have fooled me. Although the fondant that I use on its own resembles the flavor of a vanilla tootsie roll and my kids thieve it like they would any forbidden candy, it is more the texture when combined with the soft, fluffy goodness of cake that turns many people off. I have watched as many people painstakingly peel away any and all traces of fondant from a cake like kids pick out all the green stuff from a plate of food before eating. Sometimes, the cleanness and sturdiness is irreplaceable, or is it?

Well, always up for a challenge, and still a novice in many things in the glorious pastry and cake kingdom, I began researching and testing (and tasting, such a grueling job, I know, but, alas, I persevere). Through all of this, I have found (and eaten and enjoyed) a wonderfully smooth, decadently delicious, heavenly creamy medium called modelling chocolate or chocolate clay. Yep, you got it, chocolate! White chocolate, dark chocolate, milk chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate, with a little addition of some corn syrup can transform into a clay like material that can be cut, formed, molded, shaped and, the best part, enjoyed! I am still a little skeptical how this stuff will hold up to humid, intense southern summer heat, but, I'm keeping my fingers crossed and I will definitely keep you updated! Stay tuned...

White chocolate test flower (will eventually be on a test cake if it doesn't get eaten!)

No comments:

Post a Comment