Thursday, May 12, 2011

1st Communion (with a twist)

It is always a challenge to design a cake for my very unconventional daughter. Birthdays are fun and funky and always challenge me but, with her impending 1st Communion, I was posed with a different kind of test. 1st Communion is a very important holy sacrament and are usually approached as an elegant and serious event. The cake designed for such an event is usually elegant, pristine, religiously decorated, and, of course, white! Well, this is NOT Gabi! Gabi is an intensely active, quiet, introspective, outdoorsy tomboy. She would think I was crazy if I put forth a cake with delicate flowers, bows, and crosses but, on the other hand, I didn't want to get sacrilegious or anything with dragons, snakes, or anything of that sort (which is what my little non traditionalist loves). So, I start looking and, lo and behold, I find a 7th birthday cake on one of my favorite cake sites that became the PERFECT mix of the delicateness of the ceremony and my daughter's passionate love of nature and, of course, the color green. I even figured that I could get away with a lizard, since I won't let her have a real one yet :-)






1 comment:

  1. beautiful.....I may have a challenge on my hands.....play with this one in your head....non traditional 25th wedding annivery in about a month....give me some ideas?

    ReplyDelete