Sunday, April 3, 2011

Anemone, who knew it was a flower too?

I have never had a strength for plants. People who are pros at gardening and such tell me, "Just plant this plant or this flower, nobody can kill it." Well, guess what? I am the one person that can kill just about any plant (I've even killed a cactus!). Oh, and fish, but I digress.

Then, I received a cake request to match a bridal shower invitation that had a beautiful ruffly, green, tropical type flower that was, I was informed, not a hibiscus, which is one of the few exotic flowers that I do know, because it didn't have that long middle thingy that collects all the pollen (see how botanically educated I am?). So, I decided to just start cutting shapes and ruffling edges and gluing everything together and I got something that was pretty close to the flower on the invitation.

After scrambling desperately to get another cake out the door (mix up with deliver times) and, sadly, forgetting to take a picture of that one, I return to my ruffly, green, tropical type flowers and began assembling them on the cake when my husband came through the kitchen and said, "Hey, you are just like Mother Nature or something when it comes to cake!" Huh, who ever would have thought that I would finally get a green thumb (quite literally seeing that my hands are still neon green from the food coloring, he he) doing something like cake?

P.S. I finally found out these flowers are called anemones! Did you know that? I was pretty surprised.


No comments:

Post a Comment